- A “student” residence status is only effective during the duration of enrolment while at a specific school. After graduation or course completion, even if the period of stay remains effective, international students are NOT allowed to stay in Japan with a “student” residence status. International students must leave Japan and return their residence card to the immigration inspector at the airport.
- In case you will be continuing your stay in Japan, you must change your residence status according.
Going to School in Japan
- Continuing education at Juntendo University, e.g. Master Program to Doctoral Program
- If necessary, you need to extend your period of stay.
- Going to any other academic institution
- Submit the Notification of the Accepting Organization (Left the organization) (Excel ) to the Immigration Services Agency of Japan.
- Follow the extension of period of stay instructions at the new institution
Working in Japan
- Consult with your employer and change your residence status to allow you to work legally.
Continuing Job-search in Japan after Graduation / Course Completion
- If you hold a “Student” status and expect to continue your job-search in Japan after graduation /course completion, change your residence status to “Designated Activities.”
- Please note that this is only applicable for official students. Unofficial students such as research students are excluded.
- The "Designated Activities" residence status is effective for 6 months and may be extended once, one year is the maximum length.
- When you finish your job-search or the Designated Activities period comes to an end, you must change your residence status accordingly or else leave Japan before the period of expiration on the residence card.