- “Student” resident status holders are not allowed to engage in paid activities unless they apply for permission from the Immigration Services Agency of Japan.
- Permission will allow mid to long term resident with a “student“ residence status for a period of at least 6 months to apply to work at a part time job for a maximum of 28 hours per week during the school year. During extended holidays students may work 8 hours per day, however the student may not exceed 40 hours per week.
- Students may apply for part-time student employment even if they do not have a job.
- Students may not work while their part-time employment application is being reviewed.
- The permit expires when the period of stay expires.
- The residence card the mid to long term resident receives will indicate they are able to have a part-time job.
- Students working as Research Assistants (RA) and Teaching Assistants (TA) do not need part-time student employment permission.
- Students working in a Juntendo University library do need part-time student employment permission.
- Students on a leave of absence from school are prohibited from working.
- Part time jobs must abide by Japanese law.
- Students are prohibited by law from engaging in businesses such as: pachinko parlors, mahjong stores, game centers, cabaret clubs, host clubs, or any sex industry.
- Short-term residents in Japan are not permitted to work while in Japan.
- Students who receive part-time employment permission must register their place of employment on their SpeedVisa account within 14 days of starting their new job and when they change their part-time job.
After Arriving in Japan at the Airport for the First Time
- Submit the Application for Permission to Engage in Activity Other than that Permitted Under the Status of Residence Previously Granted to the immigration inspector at the airport, the application is available at the airport.
After Establishing Residence in Japan
- Complete the Application for Permission to Engage in Activity Other than that Permitted Under the Status of Residence Previously Granted
- Present the following items to the Immigration Services Agency of Japan:
- Application for Permission to Engage in Activity Other than that Permitted Under the Status of Residence Previously Granted
- Residence Card
- Employment Certificate, for applicants who have already found a place to work
- The Immigration Services Agency of Japan will review application, which may take between 2 weeks to 2 months.