FUKUNAGA Tetsu, M.D., Ph.D.
Department of Esophageal & Gastroenterological Surgery
|1982-1988||M.D. Ryukyu University School of Medicine|
|1988-1992||Resident in Surgery, Juntendo University Hospital|
|1994-1996||Research fellow, Department of anesthesiology/CCM, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA|
|1992-2004||Assistant Professor, Instructor, Department of Surgery, Juntendo University Urayasu Hospital|
|2004-2009||Chief, Department of Gastroenterological Surgery, Cancer Institute Ariake Hospital|
|2008-||Clinical Professor, Department of Digestive and Pediatric Surgery, The University of Tokushima Graduate School|
|2009-2010||Clinical Professor, Department of Gastroenterological and General Surgery, St. Marianna University School of Medicine|
|2010-2015||Professor, Department of Gastroenterological and General Surgery, St. Marianna University School of Medicine|
|2015-||Visiting Professor, Department of Gastroenterological and General Surgery, St. Marianna University School of Medicine|
|2015-||Professor, Department of Gastroenterology and Minimally Invasive Surgery, Juntendo University Faculty of Medicine|
|2020-||Chairman, Medical Technology & Simulation Center, Juntendo University|
- Laparoscopic (Robotic) Gastric and Esophageal Cancer operation
- LECS (Laparoscopic Endoscopic Collaboration Surgery)
- Repair of ventral hernia
- Bariatric surgery
- Transabdominal Preperitoneal Laparoscopic Hernia Repair (TAPP)Gastric and Esophageal Cancer
Main Research Topics and Interests
- Development of prognosis marker for gastric cancer, using In Silico analysis
- Cancer metabolism
- ①cancer treatment and prevention by inhibiting fatty acid synthase
- ②The clarification of relationship between diabetes and malignancy
- Development of molecular target drug (therapeutic antibody) for scirrhous gastric cancer
- Development of disease condition identify marker, using serum RNA information (or sputum)
- The international collaboration research with Johns Hopkins university school of medicine. (analysis of MDSCs suppressing mechanism for gastric cancer)
Publications (in English)
- Original Articles: 68
- Review Articles: 1
- h-index: 24 （Web of Science）
- Sum of Times Cited: 1,576 (Web of Science)
Recent Main Publications
- Zhang S, Orita H, Egawa H, Matsui R, Yamauchi S, Yube Y, Kaji S, Takahashi T, Oka S, Inaki N, Fukunaga T. Effectiveness and safety of a laparoscopic training system combined with modified reconstruction techniques for total laparoscopic distal gastrectomy. World J Gastroenterol. 2020 Apr 7;26(13):1490-1500.
- Kaji S, Irino T, Kusuhara M, Makuuchi R, Yamakawa Y, Tokunaga M, Tanizawa Y, Bando E, Kawamura T, Kami K, Ohashi Y, Zhang S, Orita H, Lee-Okada HC, Fukunaga T, Terashima M. Metabolomic profiling of gastric cancer tissues identified potential biomarkers for predicting peritoneal recurrence. Gastric Cancer. 2020 Mar 26.
- Ishibashi Y, Oka S, Kanda S, Yube Y, Kohira Y, Kaji S, Egawa H, Jianzhong W, Zhang S, Fukunaga T. Hemi-double stapling technique performed with a transorally inserted anvil for esophagojejunostomy in the surgical treatment of gastric cancer. Asian J Endosc Surg. 2020 Apr;13(2):168-174.
Other Specific Comments
- Making strong efforts to international interactions with USA, China, etc.
- Invited adjunct professor Malcolm Brock from Johns Hopkins University school of medicine
- Accepting foreign graduates from China, and residents for studying laparoscopic (robotic) surgical skill from Johns Hopkins.
- Demonstration surgery (laparoscopic gastrectomy) in China several times/year
- Lectures (coaching young surgeons) in Johns Hopkins once a year.
- Chairman, Medical Technology & Simulation Center, Juntendo University
LinkDepartment of Esophageal & Gastroenterological Surgery
Medical Technology & Simulation Center