WATADA Hirotaka, M.D., Ph.D.
Department of Metabolism & Endocrinology
|1990||M.D. Osaka University Faculty of Medicine|
|1997||Ph.D. Osaka University Graduate School of Medicine|
|1997-2000||Post-Doctoral Fellow, Hormone Research Institute, University of California San Francisco|
|2001-2006||Assistant Professor, Department of Metabolism & Endocrinology, Juntendo University Faculty of Medicine|
|2006-2010||Associate Professor, Department of Metabolism & Endocrinology, Juntendo University Faculty of Medicine|
|2010-Present||Professor, Department of Metabolism & Endocrinology, Juntendo University Graduate School of Medicine|
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Pancreatic Islets
- Insulin Resistance in East Asian
Main Research Topics and Interests
- Pancreatic beta cell development and regeneration.
- Regulation of pancreatic beta cell mass
- Physiology of insulin resistance in East Asian
- Progression of atherosclerosis in diabetes
- Clinical Diabetology
Publications (in English)
- Original Articles: 387
- Review Articles: 22
- h-index: 58 (Web of Science)
- Sum of Times Cited: 18,409 (Web of Science)
Recent Main Publications
- Takahashi M, Miyatsuka T, Suzuki L, et al. Biphasic changes in beta-cell mass around parturition are accompanied by increased serotonin production. Sci Rep 2020;10:4962.
- Kiya M, Tamura Y, Takeno K, et al. Adipose Insulin Resistance and Decreased Adiponectin Are Correlated With Metabolic Abnormalities in Nonobese Men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2021 Apr 23;106(5):e2228-e2238
- Wakasugi S, Mita T, Katakami N, et al. Associations between continuous glucose monitoring-derived metrics and arterial stiffness in Japanese patients with type 2 diabetes. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2021 ;20(1):15.
- Osonoi Y, Mita T, Azuma K, et al. Defective autophagy in vascular smooth muscle cells enhances cell death and atherosclerosis. Autophagy 2018;14:1991-2006.
- Miura M, Miyatsuka T, Katahira T, et al. Suppression of STAT3 signaling promotes cellular reprogramming into insulin-producing cells induced by defined transcription factors. EBioMedicine 2018;36:358-366.
Other Specific Comments
- Associate Editor of Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism