- Potential mid to long term residents in Japan, those people who will be staying in Japan for more than 90 days, will need to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility for their visa application.
- A certificate of Eligibility is issued as proof that foreign nationals entering Japan will engage in the activities outlined under a residence status.
- The Certificate of Eligibility takes between 1-3 months to process following submission to the Immigration Services Agency of Japan.
- After applicants receive the Certificate of Eligibility they may apply for a visa, which should then be processed and issued within 5 business days.
- A Certificate of Eligibility is valid for 3 months.
- Due to COVID-19, a Certificate of Eligibilty may last longer than 3 months.
- Complete the Application for Certificate of Eligibility For applicant parts that corresponds with your desired residence status.
- Submit the required items to JUIC.
- Completed Application for Certificate of Eligibility For applicant parts as an Excel file.
- Passport Copy
- Personal Photo
- Document explaining how the applicant expects to defray their expenses, such as a bank account statement or scholarship certificate. The document must be in either English or Japanese. JUIC may ask request additional documents depending on your application.
- JUIC will submit the application to the Immigration Services Agency of Japan. The Immigration Services Agency of Japan may request more documents for the Application for Certificate of Eligibility.
- After processing the Application for Certificate of Eligibility, the Immigration Services Agency of Japan will send the completed Certificate of Eligibility to JUIC.
- JUIC will email you about completing the Residency Track Procedures related to COVID-19.
- After completing the Residency Track procedures JUIC will mail you the Certificate of Eligibility along with the Residency Track Pledge.
- After you receive the Certificate of Eligibility and Residency Track Pledge you will be able to apply for a visa.
Using Excel to Fill in the Application
- International students and researchers who ask the International Center to help them complete the certificate of eligibility, extension of period of stay, or change of residence status procedures should submit the application forms to the International Center as excel files.
- The application files have a number of questions that require yes or no answers.
- Please complete the following procedures to indicate your response to a yes or no question on the application documents.
- Select the “Insert” tab in excel.
- Select the “Shape” icon.
- Select the circle icon.
- Make a circle.
- Select “Shape Fill” - "No Fill" and “Shape Outline” - "Black".
- Adjust the size of the circle to indicate your response.