- Mid to long term residents in Japan who are not able to accomplish all their intended purposes before their period of stay expires may apply for an extension.
- The Immigration Services Agency of Japan accepts the Application for Extension of Period of Stay as early as 3 months prior to the period of stay expires.
- Complete the Application for Extension of Period of Stay For applicant parts and the corresponding supplementary documents that corresponds with your desired residence status.
- Refer to required items list and prepare the required items
- Submit the Application for Extension of Period of Stay For applicant parts to JUIC.
- Sakura Campus students and staff should submit the application to the Sakura Campus Administrative Department.
- Hongo-Ochanomizu Campus staff who receive a salary from Juntendo University submit the application to the Personnel Affairs Department.
- Submit the required items to the Immigration Services Agency of Japan.
- Each application requires a ￥4,000 revenue stamp Certificate for Payment of Fee form
- If necessary submit the Notification of Accepting Organization too.
- Immigration Services Agency of Japan may take 2 weeks to 1 month to review the application.
- The Immigration Services Agency of Japan may request additional items not listed on the required items list.
- When the Immigration Services Agency of Japan completes the review they will send you a postcard telling you to pick up your new residence card may take 2 weeks to 1 month to review the application.
- Report the results of the review to JUIC.
- Applicants who receive a new residence card must submit the Status of Residence / Part-time Job Notification Form.
Using Excel to Fill in the Application
- International students and researchers who ask the International Center to help them complete the certificate of eligibility, extension of period of stay, or change of residence status procedures should submit the application forms to the International Center as excel files.
- The application files have a number of questions that require yes or no answers.
- Please complete the following procedures to indicate your response to a yes or no question on the application documents.
- Select the “Insert” tab in excel.
- Select the “Shape” icon.
- Select the circle icon.
- Make a circle.
- Select “Shape Fill” - "No Fill" and “Shape Outline” - "Black".
- Adjust the size of the circle to indicate your response.