MITA Toshihiro, M.D., Ph.D.
Department of Molecular and Cellular Parasitology (Tropical Medicine and Parasitology)
|1998||Assistant Professor, Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Tokyo Jikei Medical University|
|2005||Lecturer, Department of International affairs & Tropical medicine, Tokyo Women's Medical University|
|2012||Professor, Department of Molecular and Cellular Parasitology, Juntendo University Faculty of Medicine|
- Tropical Medicine
- Drug Resistance
- Molecular Epidemiology
Main Research Topics and Interests
- Genomic surveillance of malaria parasite to understand antimalarial drug resistance and how they emerge and geographically spread to the population
- Elucidation of evolution process for drug-resistant malaria
- Development of new genetic markers that can easily identify drug-resistant parasites
- Understanding of world-wide population structure of malaria parasites and its relation to global malaria control
- Development a novel antimalarial drug
Publications (in English)
- Original Articles: 64
- Review Articles: 8
- Books: 2
- h-Index: 21 (Scopus)
- Sum of Times Cited: 1,524
Recent Main Publications
- N Engl J Med. 2021; 385:1163-71.
- PLOS Pathogens., 2020; 16, e1009133
- Emerg. Infect. Dis., 2018; 24, 718-726.
Other Specific Comments
- I have been addressing the global issue of drug-resistant malaria mainly using novel field-based molecular approaches. My personal motto is “an inventive point of view” that makes our life as a researcher more interesting.